Disgraced Grace returns to Zimbabwe after alleged assault on model

President Robert Mugabe kisses first lady Grace Mugabe during Zimbabwe’s 37th Independence Day celebrations in April.

Embattled Zimbabwean first lady Grace Mugabe returned home Sunday from South Africa, where she was accused of assaulting a model with an electric cord, according to reporting by South African Media.

Former African Union Commission chairperson Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma on Thursday said Zimbabwe’s first lady, Grace Mugabe, who is accused of beating up a young South African model, must face the law.

Answering questions at her book launch, Dlamini-Zuma said women were capable leaders and the bad behaviour of one woman should not be allowed to taint all women.

Grace Mugabe, 52, allegedly used an electric extension cord with a plug at one end to whip 20-year-old Gabriella Engels and her friend after she found them at the hotel where her sons, Robert Jr and Chatunga Bellarmine, were staying since being evicted from their R74 000-a-month Sandton apartment for brawling.

Reporting from international media say, Comrade Robert Mugabe, “who was accompanied by the first lady, Grace Mugabe, Finance and Economic Development Minister, Patrick Chinamasa and Foreign Affairs Minister, Simbarashe Mumbengegwi arrived aboard an Air Zimbabwe plane in the early hours of today.”

Grace Mugabe was able to leave South Africa after its government approved her request for diplomatic immunity.


In making the decision, South Africa took into account the need to maintain good relations in the region and with Zimbabwe in particular, said International Relations and Cooperation Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane in a statement.

“The Minister has made the determination that the conferring of diplomatic immunity is warranted in this particular instance,” the statement said.
“The Department wishes to convey the message that the Minister has agonized over this matter and the decision was not an easy one to make.”

According to Engels, she was in a hotel room with Mugabe’s two adult sons when the attack took place.
“Rob jnr was put out of the hotel room and Bellermine ran away” Engels wrote in a tweet, referring to Mugabe’s sons. “My two friends and I were beat up in a room with 10+ men leaving her to do it.”

Engels also claimed on Twitter that Mugabe “split my head open in 3 places. With an extension cord and plug to hit me.”

Police initially said Mugabe had turned herself in before revealing that she had not. Her attorneys and representatives of the Zimbabwean government met police last Tuesday to establish “channels of cooperation,” police said.

The Mugabes had flown to South Africa to attend a two-day regional leaders’ summit in Pretoria. But Grace Mugabe had not been seen since the allegations were made and failed to appear at the Pretoria summit.

Engels is being represented by South Africa’s legendary prosecutor Gerrie Nel, who led the murder case against the athlete Oscar Pistorius. Nel now works for the Afrikaner rights group AfriForum.

Source: CNN

This website uses cookies.