Written by YAMIKANI SIMUTOWE
BLANTYRE—Former president Dr. Bakili Muluzi’s K1.7 billion graft case will, once more, go to court on February 25, 2013 for mention, MaraPost has learnt.
However, the forthcoming court appearance will be just to get a new date for hearing, according to Egrita Ndala, the Anti-Corruption Bureau’s senior public relations officer.
“The case of Republic Vs Dr. Bakili Muluzi will be going to Court on 25th February, 2013 for mention. The Bureau was ready for trial but the defence has indicated that their client will not be available on that date. Therefore the court appearance will be just to get a new date of hearing,” said Ndala in an email response.
In July last year, Muluzi’s trial failed to take place because Director of Public Prosecutions told the court that government wants to reconstitute the prosecution team. It was also adjourned again on October 18, 2012 upon learning that Muluzi was in South Africa where he had gone to seek specialist medical attention.
“The Bureau is in the process of drawing up and taking concrete steps to seriously deal with the problem of delay. The Bureau has placed high priority on reducing backlog and delay,” she added.
ACB accused and arrested Muluzi in 2009 for diverting K1.7 billion into his personal bank accounts. The money is believed to have come from the country’s donors when Muluzi was in power between 1994 and 2004.
Muluzi denies the charges.
(c) The Maravi Post 2013