By Falles Kamanga
The leading opposition Malawi Congress Party (MCP) president Lazarus Chakwera on Thursday assured the nation of ending attacks on people with albinism within a month if voted into power during the May 21 elections
Chakwera told the news conference in the capital Lilongwe the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) administration has “miserably failed” to deliver on its socio-economic promises to Malawians and gave the DPP government low marks on the attacks of persons with albinism.
The MCP leader said the DPP promised security for all, but has to provide security for person with albinism and others who are attacked for political reasons.
Chakwera accused the Malawi Police Service (MPS) of failing to successfully investigate cases of abductions and killings of people with albinism.
The MCP leader hinted once again that he cannot act now on albino abductions and killings until he is voted into power.
He shed crocodile tears as if he is concerned but is just playing the ceasar part in trying to work his way to get the presidential crown like Julius Caesar.
They are not waiting for more albinos to be abducted and killed as Chakwera is doing.
The MCP leader mentions the names of the people involved in albino killings but can not exclusively highlight how it is done. When..who buys..for what purpose?
These allegations are serious and Chakwera must at once be true to what he says to reflect to what he was taught as a man of God
But he should know that this issue of albino killing is not and should not be politicised
This is an insensitive and irresponsible statement to come from a political leader. It exposes a number of things about Chakwera:
- That he knows who is abducting and killing albinos in Malawi but does not want to act because if the problem ends now, people will not have any reason to vote for him
- That he is a heartless man who is happy to see albinos being abducted and killed and won’t do anything about it unless he gains votes out of the killings
- That he does not want to work with some communities that have ganged up and stopped abductions and killings of albinos in their areas
- That he is a leader who puts votes ahead of the need to stop suffering of other people
- That he could be the one hiring or sponsoring people to abduct and kill people with albinism so as to create a situation where people see him as the one who could solve the problem once they vote him into power.
Malawians should reject such irresponsible leaders. There are many Malawians that are working hard to solve the problem now and they do so without aiming for profit like Chakwera is doing. Responsible leaders are acting NOW!
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this article are not necessarily the views of the Publisher or the Editor of Maravi Post