LILONGWE-(MaraviPost)-The Malawi government through Directorate of Road Traffic and Safety Services (DRTSS) on Wednesday put on hold its earlier decision to hike traffic offences’ fines and fees which were to be effected on January 1, 2020.
In a press release date 31 December, 2019, DRTSS says the directorate will maintain the prevailing Road Traffic (Miscellaneous Fees) Regulations of 2015 and Road Traffic Prescribed Offences and Penalties Regulations 2014.
“Further to our earlier communication in respect of the amended Road Traffic Regulations, 2019… the Directorate of Road Traffic and safety services wishes to notify the general public that the implementation of the revised Miscellaneous Fees, Prescribed Offences and Penalties has been put on hold until further notice,” reads the statement.
The directorate earlier made a communication to the public through a press statement released on December 26 last year informing of the upward adjustments.
Among other fines, driving a motor vehicle without a driving licence was set to be adjusted from the current MK10, 000 to MK15, 000.
Other adjustments including first registration of motor vehicles would be costing MK25, 000 from MK15, 000 and applying for new driving licence was set to be adjusted from MK15, 000 to MK20, 000.
Last week, DTRSS spokesperson, Angelina Makwecha told the nation that the fees were set to be adjusted due to the rising operation costs.
She said the last adjustment was done in 2015 and that consultations with relevant stakeholders were done before making the final decision.
The announcement to hike the fees attracted an outcry from motorists including driving school owners with some of them hinting on increasing their fees.