LILONGWE (MaraviPost) — Police in Malawi on Tuesday said they had launched a massive probe in the wake of brutal murders of a Rwandese and Portuguese in separate incidents in Blantyre last month, new Home Affairs minister Paul Chibingu told journalists.
Chibingu, appointed last month into this position, said Limbe and Blantyre Police crack police teams had launched a joint probe to find the culprits.
He said he was aware of serious crimes by gangs of criminals and called on police to conduct intelligence led investigations to arrest and bring to book suspects of armed robbery.
The Deputy Director of CID has been dispatched to Blantyre to lead the investigation team, he added.
The Minister had a few lessons to impart to businesses: Stop paying employees in cash to avoid attracting robbers and conmen. Pay them through the bank because it is safe, he added.
He said some employers were still paying staff meagre wages, which made to be disgruntled and in the end they collude with criminals to attack employers.
Chibingu also lambasted certain sections of business for keeping money in shops and homes, a trend he said makes staffers connive with robbers to attack employers and rob them of huge sums of cash.