Malawi Sports

Sport Minister Gangata unhappy with FA’s unprofessional handling of Kamuzu Stadium dispute

3 Min Read

BLANTYRE-(MaraviPost)-Minister Of Youth, Sports and Culture, Alfred Gangata this week Wednesday expressed frustration with the Football Association of Malawi, accusing the association of making him “look like a fool” during attempts to resolve the impasse over the use of Kamuzu Stadium ahead of the postponed FDH Premiership launch.

According to a source who attended a five-hour meeting involving officials from the Ministry of Youth, Sports and Culture, the Malawi National Council of Sports and FAM, the minister openly expressed disappointment with the conduct of FAM leadership during the standoff with the Super League of Malawi.

The source said Gangata told the meeting that he had repeatedly attempted to engage FAM president Fleetwood Haiya to find an amicable solution before the scheduled launch match between Mighty Wanderers and Karonga United.

“The minister said he was not amused that when he called the FAM president to meet and resolve the stand-off on the stadium issue ahead of the launch, Mr Haiya kept assuring him that he would show up for the meeting at Sunbird Mount Soche, but he never did,” the source said.

The source further disclosed that Gangata admitted that after touring the stadium a day before the launch, he had observed that some sections of the facility were indeed in poor condition.

However, considering the advanced preparations for the event, he believed stakeholders could still have reached a compromise.

“In his words, the minister said, ‘ndinawoneka ngati chitsiru…ngati wopusa’ [you made me look stupid…like a fool],” the source added.

The meeting also reportedly focused on the strained relationship between FAM and Sulom, as well as concerns involving the National Women’s Football Association.

According to the source, Gangata questioned why SULOM continued with preparations to host the launch at Kamuzu Stadium despite FAM maintaining that the venue was not certified to host elite matches.

The minister is said to have ordered another meeting involving the ministry, Sports Council, FAM, Sulom and the Women’s Football Association on May 28 to further address the disputes.

The source said Gangata also directed FAM to suspend disciplinary proceedings against SULOM pending the outcome of the next meeting.

However, Haiya reportedly indicated that FAM wanted to proceed with the disciplinary process to avoid possible sanctions from FIFA.

But Sports Council board member Flackson Walapa reportedly argued that while FIFA regulations should be respected, Malawi should still be allowed to handle its football matters locally.

The meeting also touched on government funding for football activities, with Gangata questioning why FAM frequently seeks financial support from government despite receiving funding from FIFA and Confederation of African Football.

Haiya reportedly responded that senior national teams remain government’s responsibility.

Another contentious issue raised during the discussions was the inclusion of numerous officials on national team foreign trips.

According to the source, Haiya defended the practice by saying officials gain valuable administrative experience during international engagements, with some eventually becoming CAF commissioners.

However, Gangata reportedly dismissed the explanation, arguing that most of the appointments were based on loyalty to the FAM leadership.

The meeting further directed FAM to follow proper government procedures when requesting funding, instead of approaching Treasury directly.

Meanwhile, National Women’s Football Association chairperson Adellaide Migogo reportedly told the meeting that she had been sidelined by the FAM leadership on key issues involving women’s football, including the management of the Scorchers and the women’s national league.

Haiya reportedly defended the arrangement by stating that the Scorchers fall under FAM because they are a national team.

Ministry spokesperson Macmillan Mwale confirmed that the issues were discussed during the meeting, although he described some matters as “classified in nature”.

He also confirmed that a follow-up meeting involving all stakeholders has been scheduled for May 28.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.