Lifestyle Regional

Greece’ cyclone Ianos claims three lives, one missing

1 Min Read
Cyclone Ianos sweeps Greece

IONIAN-(MaraviPost)-Three people have died following a rare storm known as a medicane that uprooted trees and caused power cuts on the Ionian islands and the western Peloponnese.

Greek authorities confirmed the news on Sunday, September 20, 2020.

Reuters report revealed that Cyclone Ianos battered central Greece on Saturday, hitting the cities of Karditsa and Farsala before it moved south to the island of Crete causing heavy rain that turned Karditsa, one of Greece’s biggest plains, into a lake.

Fire brigade officials said a 63-year-old man was found dead in a village near Karditsa, another body of an elderly woman was found in nearby village and on Sunday, a man was discovered under the collapsed roof of his house in the same area village.

The fire brigade added that it had received more than 2,450 calls in the affected regions for assistance to rescue trapped people, cut down trees, and pump out water from homes and businesses.

Commenting on the matter, the Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis, who is expected to visit the region said government will provide economic relief to the affected areas.

Meanwhile, authorities are searching for a woman who is still missing from Karditsa city following the storm.

Greece has been experiencing frequent cyclones in recent years. In 2015, almost 25 people were killed and scores were left homeless.

Angella Semu

I hold a Bachelor of science degree in Agriculture Development Communication that I obtained from Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources. I previously worked with The Nation Publications Limited since 2018 before joining The Maravi post particularly on Agriculture Desk as an intern before I became a correspondent. Currently I am reporting for The Maravi Post mainly in International News and locally in the Southern region of Malawi.