BLANTYRE-(MaraviPost)-The Ministry of Health has confirmed of an outbreak of cholera which has so far killed eight people from Maganga Village around Tukumbo area in Nkhatabay district.

Cholera camp in NkhataBay

In a statement signed by the Secretary for Health Charles Mwansambo, says on August 7, 2022, Nkhatabay district health office had received an alert of case presenting with fever, abdominal cramps, watery diarrhea and vomiting from the above mentioned area.

The Ministry says as of August 17, the district has reported 213 cases of which 26 are in admission, 179 have recovered after treatment and 8 have died.

It says the rise in number of admission and death cases is being contributed by late presentation to care as most cases are arriving in the treatment unit in severe state.

“Investigation by the District Rapid Response Treatment revealed that poor sanitation (with about 50% of the households having toilets) and poor water supply are the main drivers of the outbreak.

“Laboratory investigations from the samples collected have confirmed that it is an outbreak of cholera,” says the Ministry in a statement.

Meanwhile, to control further spread of an outbreak, the Ministry says it has put in place various intervention measures such as treatment of cases, distribution of chlorine for water treatment, community sensitization on the prevention and control of the disease and resource mobilization in terms of drugs and equipment.

The Ministry says it has also erected a tent at Tukumbo area to enable timely management of the cases.

Concludes the Ministry in a statement “Extra curative, nursing and preventative staff from the district have been deployed in the area and also officers from the Ministry of Health are on the ground in Nkhata-Bay providing technical support.

“The Ministry is informing the public that all necessary interventions are being implemented to ensure that the outbreak is controlled and the public will be updated on the progress.”

Cholera is an acute diarrheal illness caused by infection of the intestine with Vibrio cholerae bacteria.

People can get sick when they swallow food or water contaminated with cholera bacteria.

The infection is often mild or without symptoms, but can sometimes be severe and life-threatening.

The Maravi Post has over one billion views since its inception in December of 2009. Viewed in over 100 countries Follow US: Twitter @maravipost Facebook Page : maravipost Instagram: maravipost