GANJA-(MaraviPost)-At least eight people have died and 34 others wounded following new nightly missile attack by Armenian forces on Azerbaijan’s residential area of Ganja.
Azerbaijan’s foreign ministry confirmed the news on Sunday October 11th.
The missile attack by Armenian forces comes a day after a ceasefire between the two sides had been due to take effect at noon local time (0800 GMT) Saturday to end nearly two weeks of heavy fighting over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region.
The Armenian attacks however continued despite a humanitarian armistice on Saturday for the exchange of prisoners and retrieval of bodies in Nagorno-Karabakh, an internationally recognized territory of Azerbaijan.
According to AFP, officials in Nagorno-Karabakh and Azerbaijani forces accused each other of firing missiles and rockets on civilian areas on Saturday morning shortly before the ceasefire was due to start.
The recent clashes between the two former Soviet republics begun on Sept. 27 when Armenian forces targeted Azerbaijani settlements, and military positions in the region and by October 11 about 41 Azerbaijani civilians had been killed and 205 injured.
The prosecutors said at least 1,165 houses, 57 residential and commercial buildings, and 146 public buildings had also been destroyed or damaged following the clashes.
Commenting on the matter on Sunday, the president of Nagorno-Karabakh Arayik Harutyunyan accused Israel of backing Azerbaijan.
Harutyunyan said the authorities of Israel are responsible for the genocide and that Azerbaijan authorities are failing to comply with an agreement on the exchange of prisoners and the dead that should have taken place on Sunday with the support of the Red Cross.
Turkey’s foreign ministry has however condemned Armenian missile attack on Ganja and has asked Russia to press Armenia to abide by the terms of a Russian-brokered truce in Nagorno-Karabakh.