Zambian aspiring MP quits active politics citing fear for life after ex-minister’s killing

4 Min Read
Retired Hon. Mainda Simataa

By Lovemore Lubinda

LUSAKA — An aspiring Zambian legislator has announced an immediate retirement from active politics, saying the country’s political environment has become “too toxic, too intolerant, and even dangerous” following the killing of former minister Mutotwe Kafwaya.

In a press statement issued on August 21, 2026, Retired Hon. Mainda Simataa, who recently contested as an Independent MP for Kabwata Constituency, said he was stepping down to protect his life and family.

“I am not prepared to lose my life over politics and leave my family behind,” Simataa said. “Unlike elections, there is no bouncing back from loss of life.”

Simataa lost the Kabwata race in the August 13 general election. He said the defeat was not the reason for his decision.

“However, that temporary setback is not the reason for my early retirement from Zambian politics,” he said. “Therefore, given my analysis of the current hostile political environment which, in my view, has become too toxic, too intolerant, and even dangerous for politicians such as myself, I have chosen to step aside.”

The announcement comes days after the death of Mutotwe Kafwaya, a former Minister of Transport and Logistics and ex-MP for Lunte who was shot dead during a joint intelligence led operation in Lusaka’s Kabulonga area the day after the general election was held.

The police made a confirmation five days after questions emerged on social media over Kafwaya’s whereabouts, with his wife publicly appealing to authorities to disclose his location.

In a lengthy statement, Police Inspector General Graphel Musamba explained that the incident happened during an operation conducted by a joint task force comprising members of the Central Joint Operations Committee (CJOC), including the Drug Enforcement Commission (DEC).

The police boss further disclosed that the operation was conducted around 19:30 hours at a named premises in Kabulonga following intelligence gathered after the recovery of K7.3 million in a second task force operation in Lusaka.

He said the intelligence concerned activities by individuals considered to be of national interest and suspected of posing a threat to national security.

According to Musamba, defence and security wings had been monitoring the activities since November 2023.

He shared that when the joint task force arrived at the premises, it was met with gunfire and resistance from unknown individuals, prompting the officers to return fire.

Musamba narrated that one unidentified male person was fatally wounded in the process and was immediately taken to the hospital but was pronounced dead upon arrival.

“Following social media reports about a missing person, efforts were made to ascertain whether the description of the body matched that of Mutotwe Kafwaya,” Musamba said.

He said family members were called this evening and positively identified the deceased as Kafwaya.

The police chief explained that 11 people were also apprehended at the premises and are being held in connection with alleged offences relating to treason and any other offences that may be established during investigations.

Among those apprehended are three former commandos with specialised military training and two retired police officers.

Musamba further shared that the three former commandos had specialised training in areas including marksmanship, weapons handling, intelligence gathering and commando tactics.

He stated that one of the retired police officers previously served with the Flying Squad, commonly known as C5.

The police chief added that the joint task force also recovered several firearms and other items from the premises, including five AK-47 rifles, 60 rounds of ammunition, a Zastava pistol, military-version automatic Uzi weapons, a bulletproof vest, a commando dagger and firearm maintenance equipment.

Other items recovered include military grade binoculars with night vision capability, tactical gloves, walkie-talkies, taser type devices and electronic equipment.

The police said the electronic devices, documents and other materials recovered have been secured and will undergo forensic examination to establish their ownership, source, intended use and possible connection to the alleged offences.

He said investigations are ongoing and the 11 suspects will be dealt with in accordance with the law.

The police IG also urged members of the public to remain calm and avoid speculation or the circulation of unverified information regarding the operation and the investigations.

Simataa, a former Kamwala Ward Councillor, said he remained committed to Zambia despite leaving frontline politics.

“Zambia and its people are my first love, and even in retirement, there is always a part of me that will look behind and hope that all things work out for the best,” he stated.

He thanked supporters who campaigned with him during the election.
“I thank you all that have walked this journey with me. God bless you all, and God bless mother Zambia,” Simataa said.

The Southern African Development Community’s observer mission, in its preliminary statement on the elections, flagged concerns over political violence and intimidation, and recommended that the Zambia Police Service investigate related reports.

Simataa’s withdrawal adds to growing public discussion about safety in Zambian politics after a poll that was largely peaceful but marred by isolated incidents of disruption and allegations of intimidation in several provinces.

Maravi Post Reporter

Op-Ed Columnists, Opinion contributors and one submissions are posted under this Author. In our By-lines we still give Credit to the right Author. However we stand by all reports posted by Maravi Post Reporter.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.