
A lock-down is an emergency protocol that requires people to stay at home except for essential purposes. All non-essential activities are suspended.
BLANTYRE-(MaraviPost)—Malawi leader Peter Mutharika has announced a 21-day national lockdown as the country’s coronavirus figures surged on Monday to 16 from 12.
According to the president, the measure will initially be effective at midnight on Saturday, 18th April, 2020 and it will end on Saturday 9th May, 2020, at midnight.
He said the move was to help disrupt the rise of the coronavirus which has been rising since the first case was recorded last month.
“Today, Government has declared a 21 Day Lockdown. It will initially be effective at midnight on Saturday, 18th April, 2020 and it will end on Saturday 9th May, 2020, at midnight.
“This lockdown may be extended beyond 9th May as circumstances warrant. The Minister has done so using powers vested in him under the Public Health Act. In his declaration of the lockdown, the Minister outlined specific measures that will be in force during the period of the lockdown.
“I would like to urge you to fully comply with the measures because they are for the good of our country.
Currently, Malawi has suffered 2 deaths. As I speak, the United States of America has lost over 23,000 lives. Italy has lost over 20,000 people. The United Kingdom has lost over 11,000 lives,” Mutharika said.
He further said government will continue taking actions that should save lives while on lockdown.
Malawi requires about MK150 billion for the implementation of the National COVID-19 Preparedness and Response Plan, according to the president.
On March 11, World Health Organisation announced that Covid-19 was a pandemic.
President Peter Mutharika on March 20 2020 declared the State of Disaster and set up a K15 billion fund to deal with the crisis. He also banned public gatherings and ordered closure of schools as part of drastic measures to cut densification.




