Development

Malawi’s Mzuzu city faces MK119m budget deficit on Covid-19 fight

1 Min Read
Mzuzu city Taskforce on Covid-19

By Tionge Hara

MZUZU-(MaraviPost)-Mzuzu City Council has sounded an SOS asking for additional resources from well-wishers to be used in managing covid-19 pandemic fight.

The council which has so far registered three confirmed covid-19 cases has a budget of MK126 million, but only MK6 million has been mobilised locally.

The Chairperson of the Taskforce on covid-19 for the city, Dr. Douglas Lungu disclosed that the council is facing about MK119 million budget deficit to successfully carry out work aimed at fighting further spread of the covid-19 pandemic.

Dr. Lungu says although government pledged MK35 million allocation for the city, the money is not enough hence the need to engage different stakeholders to pool their resources together.

He made the remarks on Monday in Mzuzu during an interface meeting with Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) and the business community on the progress made in the fight against the pandemic.

Mzuzu City Council Acting Chief Executive Officer, Yotamu Mutafya, agrees with Dr. Lungu saying the fight against covid-19 need coordinated efforts for better results.

Mutafya then disclosed plans to open a covid-19 account and assured the stakeholders that the funds donated will be not be abused.

He also says they have already engaged residents of Luwinga Township to rescind their decision of blocking the idea of turning Football Association of Malawi’s Luwinga Technical Centre into covid-19 quarantine site.

Maravi Post Reporter

Op-Ed Columnists, Opinion contributors and one submissions are posted under this Author. In our By-lines we still give Credit to the right Author. However we stand by all reports posted by Maravi Post Reporter.