The Council for Malawi University of Science and Technology (MUST)in exercise of its statutory duties as provided in the University’s Act is inviting interested and suitably qualified distinguished Academics with vast experience in University Curriculum Development and Reform, Teaching, Research and Administration/Management to apply for the above post.
MUST is a new University, the Fourth Public University established by the Government of Malawi in December, 2012 which shall open its doors to its first intake of undergraduate and post-graduate students very soon. The University is situated in the Southern part of Malawi in the beautiful highlands of Thyolo District about 25 kilometers East of Blantyre city.
MUST is starting with three schools: the Malawi Institute of Technology; the Ndata School of Climate and Earth Sciences and the Academy of Medical Sciences. Through these schools, The University is offering undergraduate and postgraduate program mesin the following disciplines: Chemical Engineering, Metallorgy and Mineral Processing, Medical Microbiology, Traditional and Herbal Medici ne, Geriatric Medicine, Earth Sciences, Biomedical Engineering, Meteorology and Climate Science.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE JOB
The Vice-Chancellor shall in n accordance with Section 14 of the Law establishing the University be responsible for the overall management of the University, include ng the development and implementation of strategic plans, policies, teaching and research programmes, budget management and have such powers and perform such functions as may from ti me to ti me, be prescribed by the enabling Act, the Statutes and the Council.
xi. Impeccable and honest character.
The Successful candid ate shall hold d office for a period of five years and be eligible for re appointment for one further term of office based on satisfactory performance. The candidate shall be offered an attractive salary and benefits commensurate with seniority of the position and qualifications of the candidates.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Interested candidates who meet the above conditions should submit their application, together with detailed curricula vitae duly signed and dated not later than 2nd May, 2014. The curriculum vitae must include the candidate’s names in full, date of birth, academic qualifications, teaching, research, administrative and managerial experience, academic distinctions achieved, member shi p of academic and professional bodies, number of post-graduate research students supervised, scholarly publications, names and addresses of three referees with their e-mail and physical addresses and other relevant information.
Applications are to be submitted under confidential coverin envelop marked ‘ Post of MUST Vice-Chancellor” at the upper left hand corner to:
The Comptroller of Statutory Corporation
Private Bag 30061
For online submission: firstname.lastname@example.org
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate is also expected to:
- Provide strategic, innovative and creative direction and leadership to the University by competitively positioning and representing the University nationally and internationally;
- Facilitate local and international partnerships with institutions of higher learning, research and other agencies including the private sector; and
- Aggressively mobilize resources for the University.
QUALIFICATIONS AND ATTRIBUTES
Specifically, MUST require a person who can meet the following qualifications and attributes:
- Be a distinguished Professor in a field of study covered in programmes of study within the University, with at least 5 years post-professorial experience from recognized universities;
- A renowned academic with over 5 years of post-PhD teaching (at undergraduate and post-graduate levels) and research experience with proven record of supervising PhD and Master degree students and substantial scholarly achievement demonstrated by research outputs in the form of publications in refereed books and journals;
- Of not more than 65 years at the time of appointment;
- A leader with considerable administrative managerial experience at senior University Management level;
- Practical experience in foresight planning and strategic leadership in a reputable University or equivalent organization;
- Capable of sustaining good and harmonious working relationships among University staff members and students on one hand and between the University and its stakeholders;
- Able to foster a culture of innovation, creativity and openness, which values every individual’s contribution while also ensuring productivity and growth;
- Have demonstrable experience in financial management. fundraising and resource mobilization;
- Have excellent analytical, problem solving, decision making, team building, organizational, interpersonal including Information and Communication Technology (!CT) skills;
- Have proven skills in leadership and development and be capable of making the university a leading institution of higher education in science and technology with first class research and teaching outputs.