By Mulotwa Mulotwa
BLANTYRE-(MaraviPost)-Busted! Malawi’s Attorney General (AG) Chikosa Silungwe is suspicious of Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB), Public Procurement Disposal of Assets (PPDA) and Fiscal Police over the handling of the MK12.3 billion Karim Batawalala deal with immigration.
In his latest letter to ACB dated March 23, 2021 Silungwe rues over ACB, PPDA, Police and immigration officials, falling short of just saying the MK12.3 billion was as bogus as stinky but Government arms’ responsible for investigations and prosecution are turning a blind eye.
The AG has thrown doubt on ACB and Police willingness to get to the bottom of the MK12.3 billion supply of uniforms to the Immigration Department.
The Head of the Malawi bar, moans & groans in a very helpless manner, asking ACB to re-open investigations into this matter and ensure criminal proceedings against all officers involved are instituted.
Detailed list including:
- The MK12.3 billion was not approved by Secretary to Treasury
- Officers at Immigration committed huge sums of money on behalf of Government not appropriated by the National Assembly
- PPDA masqueraded as an authority giving no objection for 3 separate contracts but bearing one contract number & entered into in a single day
- Batawalala was given 3 contracts / letters to supply uniforms with no provided QTY
- Silungwe finds theses transactions suspicious and previously asked ACB investigate to no avail
- ACB instead engaged Fiscal Police who did a shoddy job
Secretary to the President and Cabinet (SPC) Zangazanga Chikhosi in your extremely busy schedule in running matters of the State, spare five minutes only to write firebrand Martha Chizuma’s letter of appointment so that she assumes her role at ACB. There is work to be done urgently.
Godot, we waited for long!