LILONGWE-(MaraviPost)-Malawi President Lazarus Chakwera’s Tonse administration on July 8, 2020 appointed 31 member cabinet ministers including Attorney General (AG) which raised a number of questions on some individuals capabilities to hold ministries.
The cabinet was described as “APPEASEMENT” towards family, friends and party loyalists of President Chakwera but the general outcry was disputed.
Chakwera however assured the nation that by end of five months he would reshuffle but that did not happen. He therefore stammered saying cabinet reshuffle will be done in the first quarter of the year, 2021 which ends on March 31.
Through the local Rainbow TV’s Ndale pa Malawi program that ran on Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 19:00 hours (7pm) which we collaboratively collected views from Malawians, some cabinet ministers need to be sacked while others be given second chance to serve the nation.
“For me, none of the ministers have delivered apart from Agriculture minister Lowe for running well the Affordable Inputs Program. We have benefited a lot here,” says George Simoko from Mulanje.
King Maxwell Mbewe chipped, “All cabinet ministers need to be fired. The nation is not benefiting from them”.
In the survey, some cabinet and deputy ministers were not mentioned hence exclusion that they can be remain on their positions.
According to the responses to the questions raised President Chakwera is being cordially requested to reshuffle off the following cabinet ministers for under-performing.
There are no personal grudges attached to input Malawians have told Chakwera to fire the following cabinet ministers:
- Minister of civic education and national unity – Timothy Mtambo: He has done completely nothing on civic education especially on pertinent issues including Covid-19 and national unity
- Minister of education – Agnes Njalonje: Under her watch , there was exam leakage, mishandling of teachers allowances on Covid-19 similar to the previous academic freedom saga.
- Minister of health – Khumbidze Kandodo: Under her watch, there was an abuse of Covid-19 funds
- Minister of labour – Ken Kandodo: Labour laws are not followed by Asian employers. Malawians work under unacceptable conditions and can be easily fired while being paid a low wage below the recommended minimum wage.
- Minister of energy – Newton Kambala: For NOCMA dubious deal and for suggesting that innocent Malawians must pay electricity high tariffs due to vandalism of electricity equipment.
- Minister of sports – Ulemu Msungama: For his cosmetics saga and for doing nothing to improve football in Malawi
- Minister of homeland security – Richard Chimwendo Banda: For the lapse of security in Malawi. Imagine the office and residence of the VP being broken into. He is also known for inviting mob justice to rape suspects contrary to the provision of fair trial in the Constitution which he vowed to uphold. Personalizing security agencies as if they are his farm.
- Finance Minister-Felix Mlusu: Nothing much on economic performance as inflation has gone up couple with loosing value of local currency Kwacha against major foreign currencies. He is of old school with theories not coping up with modern economies.
- Justice and Constitutional Affairs Minister-Titus Mvalo: For failing to provide policy direction on criminal offences only targeting opposition party leaders and colonies. For failing to control willy-nilly arrests of people without full charges. Mvalo shamelessly traveled to Geneva addressing empty conference just to get allowances.
The survey also recommends the following ministers to maintain their positions for the job well done.
- Minister of information – Gospel Kazako: He provided necessary information from the government especially on the Bushiri against South Africa case
- Minister of gender – Patricia Kaliati: Under her administration, many child marriages have been broken and disbanded.
- Minister of Agriculture – Lobin Lowe: Despite dubious awards of contracts of Affordable input program to Tonse Alliance diehards to supply agricultural items and also despite other hiccups, Malawians are happy as they foresee bumper maize yields due to the successful implementation of the program
The nation is yet see how patriotic and insightful leadership Chakwera will adhere as promised to be the servant of the people.