
MZUZU-(MaraviPost)-The embattled Malawi Electoral Commission (MEC) is puzzled on who to represent it in the presidential appeal case slated to be heard on April 15, 2020; due to South Africa’s 21 day state lockdown.
Earlier this month, MEC hired the services of a South African law firm, Mboweni Attorneys, to represent it in the Supreme Court of Appeal following the blocking of the Attorney General, Kalekeni Kaphale, by the Constitutional Court from representing MEC.
However, following the pandemic of Corona Virus, the Government of South Africa has issued a state lockdown from March 26 to 16 April, 2020; a development which intercepts everyone from South Africa to leave the country within the said period.
This the foreign lawyers will find it easy to come into the country for their job; even if they do so, they will have to be quarantined for a fortnight, a period which obviously falls out with the slated date of 15 April, 2020.
Earlier this week, Director of Communication for MEC, Sangwani Mwafulirwa, told the media that MEC was yet make another decisive step, following the South African State lockdown.
President Arthur Peter Mutharika and MEC appealed the Constitutional Court’s judgment passed on February 3 this year, to have a re-run of the May 2019 presidential election, due to numerous and systematic irregularities.





