United States President Donald Trump speaks at a news conference about the ongoing global coronavirus pandemic in the Rose Garden at the White House on March 13, 2020 in Washington, DC [Drew Angerer/Getty Images/AFP]
United States President Donald Trump speaks at a news conference about the ongoing global coronavirus pandemic in the Rose Garden at the White House on March 13, 2020 in Washington, DC [Drew Angerer/Getty Images/AFP]

WASHINGTON-(MaraviPost)-About 50 American have been killed by coronavirus pandemic by March 14, 2020.

US President Donald Trump confirmed when addressing the news conference at White House.

As the coronavirus pandemic tore deeper into the fabric of American public life, President Trump  on Friday, March 13, 2020 declared a national emergency on to provide more money to fight against the pandemi.

The declaration of a national emergency, a rarely used presidential power, allows the Federal Emergency Management Agency to assist state and local governments and coordinate the nation’s response to the crisis. 

Trump said the declaration would free up to U$50bn for state and local governments to respond to the outbreak. 

Trump said he was also giving Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar emergency authorities to waive federal regulations and laws to give doctors and hospitals “flexibility” in treating patients.

The move follows an unprecedented cascade of shutdowns this week, from sports events to museums and workplaces, that is aimed at limiting large public gatherings to help slow the fast-spreading virus.

From lack of testing to an initial downplaying of the threat, the Trump administration has faced harsh criticism over its response to virus. 

On Friday, Trump announced that the US will “vastly increase” its testing capacity. 

Among the steps being taken was a public-private partnership to create drive-through testing options. Trump, however, said that US authorities do not want people to get a coronavirus test if they do not need it. 

“It’s totally unnecessary,” Trump said. He added, “This will pass.”

Trump said the administration planned to announce on Sunday night further details of the testing options, including a screening website where individuals could go to see if they should be tested and how to get tested. 

US Coronavirus

Dr Debbie Birx, White House Coronavirus Response Coordinator, speaks as US President Donald Trump and other members of the White House Coronavirus Task Force listen at a news conference on COVID-19 [Saul Loeb/AFP] 

New York had already said it would begin drive-through testing for coronavirus in New Rochelle, a suburb of New York City where authorities have set up a one-mile (1.6km) “containment zone” around an infection hot spot.

“It’s safer to keep them in their car, it’s less exposure overall,” Governor Andrew Cuomo told a news conference on Friday.

Coronavirus has hit New York, California and Washington states particularly hard, but all but a few states have announced cases of the respiratory illness.

SOURCE: AL JAZEERA AND NEWS AGENCIES

The Maravi Post has over one billion views since its inception in December of 2009. Viewed in over 100 countries Follow US: Twitter @maravipost Facebook Page : maravipost Instagram: maravipost