Malawi

Malawi government orders District Commissioners to quarantine all travelers from outside country

1 Min Read
Health ministry officials at a covid-19 press briefing in Blantyre

BLANTYRE-(MaraviPost)—As the number of coronavirus cases continues to rise exponentially in Malawi, the government through the Ministry of Health has ordered District Commissioners to place all travelers from outside the country under quarantine for 14 days as a measure to contain the disease.

According to a statement issued on Wednesday signed by health ministry Principal Secretary Dr. Dan Namalika, all travelers placed under quarantine should be followed physically or by phone.

The statement further says this should be handled jointly with law enforcers and if any of them develops signs or symptoms of covid-19 within the 14 days period, a sample must be collected for further testing.

Commenting on the matter, Physicians Assistant Union president Solomaon Jumah, has asked the government to support the quarantine centres with the necessary requirements.

“What is needed is that the quarantine centres must be allocated doctors or health workers. The health workers must be well supported economically and psychologically. They must have food and all necessary the necessary requirements,” said Jumah in an interview with Zodiak.

Malawi government also announced a 21-day national lockdown last week but Human Rights Defenders Coalition (HRDC) sought court injunction restraining the government from implementing it.

As of today 23 April, Malawi has recorded 33 cases of covid-19 and three deaths.

On March 11, World Health Organisation announced that Covid-19 was a pandemic.

Maneno Chimulala

I am a journalist, educator, and activist with passion for telling stories about social justice, sports and political issues. I graduated from Mzuzu University. I started my career at the Maravi Post online publication in 2012 as an intern while in college. Upon graduating from Mzuzu University I was offered a job as Sports Reporter because of my background as a goalkeeper and rose to the position of sub editor. I also had a short stint with Nyasatimes, Malawi Punch and Malawi Digest. Over the past seven years, I have worked intimately with rural organizations and communities in Malawi on human rights, girl child education and grassroots development projects. With an academic background in education, I also volunteer as male champion for girls’ education under Girls Empowerment Networks (GENET) in Malawi’s South West Education Division (SWED).